Chicken Bacon Pot Pie
A Cozy Classic
- 1 pkg Godshall’s Real Wood Smoked Turkey Bacon
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups milk
- 1½ teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ large sweet onion, diced fine
- 4 cups shredded sautéed boneless, skinless chicken
- 2 cups cubed browned potatoes
- 1 cup thick shreds carrots
- 1 cup sweet green peas
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Cup Batch of biscuits (Bisquick or similar)
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup finely chopped cooked bacon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Prepare Filling: Preheat oven to 425°. Dice and fry 10 slices of Godshall’s Turkey Bacon, until lightly browned and remove to set aside. Melt ½ cup butter in the same pan over medium heat, use a spatula to get any brown bits of remaining bacon into the butter; add the flour, and stir into butter mix for one minute. Stir in broth and milk, whisk while cooking for about six minutes Remove from heat, and add seasoning and all but ½ cup of bacon.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a clean pan over medium-high heat; add onion, and sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken, potatoes, carrots, peas and parsley, and then, when well mixed, add cream sauce prepared earlier. Spoon filling into a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Prepare a 2 cup batch of biscuits as directed and add ¼ cup melted butter. Kneed in cheddar cheese, ½ cup bacon, salt and chives. Cut into 2½ inch discs using top of a drinking class.
- Bake the hot spooned in pie filling for 12 minutes at 425°. Remove and place biscuit discs about ½ inch apart on top of the mixture and return to oven at 350° for another 10–15 minutes until biscuits are browned and baked full! Remove and brush tops with melted butter. Serve hot.