With or Without “the Bird”
- 2 Loaves Corn Bread
- 6 Large Celery Ribs
- 2 Medium Onions
- 12 oz Package of Godshall’s Turkey Bacon
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Mixed Fresh Herbs such as Thyme, Sage, Rosemary, and/or Marjoram or 2 Tablespoons Mixed Dried Herbs (Crumbled)
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/4 Cup Melted Butter
- Preheat oven to 325° F. and spray with nonstick cooking oil, a 4-quart baking dish.
- Cut corn bread into 1/2-inch cubes and lightly toast on cookie trays in oven 20 minutes. Remove corn bread from oven and leave oven at 325° F.
- Coarsely chop separately celery, onions, and bacon.
- In a large, deep skillet sauté bacon over medium-high heat, about 10 minutes. Add celery and onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add herbs and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- In a large metal bowl, blend corn bread and bacon mixture and transfer to baking dish. Stuffing may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and cooled completely before being chilled, covered.
- Drizzle stock or broth over stuffing and bake, covered, 1 hour. Drizzle reserved fat or butter over stuffing and bake, uncovered, in upper third of oven 30 minutes more, or until top is golden.