New Twist on a holiday favorite
- Four slices – Godshall’s Real Wood Smoked Turkey Bacon
- 1 (16 ounce) package Phyllo Dough Sheets
- 1/2 pound chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 pound chopped Pistachios
- 1 cup Butter
- 3 tablespoons Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray the bottoms and sides of a 9×13 inch pan liberally with butter flavor baking spray or brush with butter.
- Dice 4 slices of Godshall’s Turkey Bacon and fry in pan. When lightly browned, remove and place butter in pan, reduce heat to low. Melt butter, chasing it around pan to accumulate the bacon’s brown bits- return to bowl
- Chop nuts and toss with bacon, cinnamon, cloves and brown sugar. Set aside. Unroll phyllo dough. Trim the dough to fit pan. Place two sheets of phyllo in pan, brush with butter thoroughly. Repeat until you have 8 sheets layered. Sprinkle nut, bacon, and spice mixture on dough. Top with eight to 12 sheets of dough, buttering as you go.
- Using a sharp knife cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan. Bake for about 40 minutes (25 minutes covered with tin foil) until bac-lava is golden and crisp.
- Make syrup while pan is in oven. Boil sugar and water, stirring often, until sugar is melted. Add vanilla and honey. Simmer on low for about 15 minutes.
Remove bac-lava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it. Let cool. Leave uncovered to prevent it getting soggy.