Centerpiece of the Table
- 1 Pack GODSHALL'S Real Wood Smoked Turkey Bacon
- 1 (8-10 lb) Fresh Turkey Breast
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 White Onions (Peeled and Halved)
- 1/2 Leek Sliced Very Thin
- 3 Celery Stalks (Halved Crosswise)
- 10 Garlic Cloves (Peeled)
- 6 Apples (Your Choice)
- 6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 6 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- 8 Fresh Sage Leaves
- 5 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 Dried Bay Leaf
- 1 1/2 Cups Apple Cider
- Let the turkey breast come to room temperature (approx. for 20 minutes.)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove the insides, set aside the neck and rinse out the turkey’s cavity. Remove excess fat and skin from the neck and cavity. and
- Cut slits through the skin where the legs and breast meet.
- Rub the turkey with 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil.
- Place 1 onion half, 1 celery piece, half of the leek slices and 2 garlic cloves inside the cavity.
- Place the turkey in a large roasting pan.
- Arrange the neck and remaining onions, celery pieces, leeks and garlic cloves in the pan, and place in the oven covered by pan or tight tent of foil. Roast for 30 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350°F. Every 45 minutes, keep basting the bird with the drippings.
- When the internal temperature of the inner thigh reaches 145°F, cut the apples in 1/4 slices.
- Brush each half with the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Remove the turkey from the oven and overlap GODSHALL'S real wood smoked turkey bacon across the breast and legs. (Secure the bacon about 1 inch from the edges with butchers string or toothpicks.) Place the apple slices in the pan.
- Cook until the temperature of the inner thigh reaches 155°F. Remove the turkey from the oven and let it rest uncovered while you prepare the gravy. Remove the apples to a serving platter.
- Purée 4 new apple slices and 1 new onion half in a food processor.
- Make a roux by melting the butter. When it foams, add the flour and whisk. (Cook for about 2 minutes.) Whisk in the chicken broth, herbs and apple purée.
- Pour grease from the roasting pan without removing any of the pan juices and set the pan over two burners over medium heat. Pour in the apple cider and cook, scraping up any browned bits with a flat spatula. Add the apple cider mixture to the gravy. (Simmer for about 15 minutes.) Season with salt and pepper and strain through a fine mesh strainer.
- Carve the turkey and ENJOY!