Call Them Fastnacht Donuts or Beignets, Just Make Them Today!
- 6 slices of GODSHALL’S Maple Flavored Turkey Bacon Diced Fine
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 packet dry yeast
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 Cups of white flour plus a cup for working dough later
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 cups of vegetable oil to fry in.
- Dice and lightly brown 6 slices of Godshall’s Maple Turkey Bacon Set aside. Warm milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles appear on the milk’s surface. Slowly add Buttermilk and then remove from heat, stir in yeast and brown sugar.
- Pour the milk mixture into large mixing bowl and set aside. In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, Cinnamon and salt,
- Add dry ingredients to milk and mix on medium speed, Use a dough hook or sturdy blade and mix until the dry ingredients are moistened, 3 to 4 minutes. Bring speed up to medium and keep mixing until the dough forms a loose ball that still collapses wet when mixer stops; add lightly browned bacon bits and mix until evenly distributed in dough. Remove and cover the mixing bowl, placing in a warm dry space for about one hour.
- Pour vegetable oil into a handled pot until there is about 2″ of oil in the bottom. Heat on Medium until a drop of water sizzles and pops.
- Flour a work surface and empty the dough onto it. Cover the top of the dough so it can be handled. Fold dough in on itself until it forms a ball and punch the ball down. knead the dough back out into a flat expanse about 3/4 inch thick. Using a very sharp knife, cut the dough into squares or diamonds- yield should be around 36 pieces.
- Gently place dough into hot oil (if you drop them you WILL get burned). turn after about 2 minutes or when golden. When both sides are golden, remove to a paper towel lined tray.
- Toss in powdered sugar and enjoy!