How well do you know your bacon? After all, this savory sensation is no ordinary food. Bacon has a truly fascinating history that dates way back to the earliest days of human civilization. It’s actually one of the world’s oldest forms of processed meats, dating back over 3,000 years.
Since then, bacon has become a culinary and cultural staple – so much so that it even has national and international days dedicated to its celebration. And while the universal love of bacon has remained consistent, consumer demand has increased for healthier, higher quality and more sustainably sourced alternatives. From using whole muscle cuts of meat to holding a Guinness World Record, here are some of the most interesting facts about Godshall’s bacon.
Different Types of Bacon
Nowadays, there are so many more types of bacon options for different preferences, lifestyles, and dietary requirements.
Godshall’s offers an array of bacon types, including delectable Beef Bacon as well as Original Turkey Bacon, Uncured Turkey Bacon (Organic and Fully Cooked) and Maple Turkey Bacon, for those who enjoy a sweeter flavor profile.
And these products stand out from regular bacon for many important reasons.
What Makes Godshall’s Bacon High Quality?
While the etymology of the word ‘bacon’ might derive from the back of a pig, Godshall’s bacon is a cut above the rest. Let’s explore how Godshall’s bacon stands out in terms of quality.
- Whole Muscle Meat. Whether turkey or beef, Godshall’s bacon is crafted from high-quality whole-muscle meat that cooks up tender yet crispy. Godshall’s doesn’t use pieced-together or mechanically-separated meat like most mass-produced bacon manufacturers.
- Smoked Over Real Wood. Godshall’s bacon is naturally smoked with our signature blend of hardwoods like hickory and applewood.
- High in Protein. If you’re on a paleo diet and looking for protein-packed options, Godshall’s Original Turkey Bacon has 6 grams of protein per serving, while beef bacon has 4 grams per serving and zero carbs.
- No Artificial Ingredients. Godshall’s bacon is organic and free from antibiotics, preservatives and MSG.
How Is Godshall’s Bacon Ethically Produced?
Ethical practices are paramount at every stage of the production process at Godshall’s. The welfare of animals is a responsibility Godshall’s takes to heart in the following ways.
- No Growth Hormones. Godshall’s specializes in natural ways of making bacon, and avoids any use of potentially problematic growth hormones.
- No Cages. Treating animals humanely at every stage is at the core of Godshall’s values, and that means no use of cages whatsoever.
- American-Raised Meat. All of Godshall’s bacon is crafted right here in the USA, with none of the meat imported from abroad.
- An Employee-Owned Company. The best bacon is made by people who care, and Godshall’s is owned and operated by the most passionate bacon lovers – its employees! That means everyone at Godshall’s is deeply invested in the quality of its products and transparency around the production process.
How Does Godshall’s Prioritize Sustainability?
- Solar Energy. Godshall’s has over 4,000 solar panels across three locations to generate clean energy. These panels result in a CO2 offset of over 2,350 tons annually.
- No Landfills. Sustainable waste management and recycling programs are used in all aspects of production.
- Reducing Water Waste. Robotic washers help reduce water usage which saves nearly 5.5 million gallons of water per year – that’s enough to fill over 130,000 bathtubs!
- Natural Gas. Our ovens use clean burning natural gas. Natural gas can reduce CO2 emissions up to 60% compared to coal when used to generate electricity.
- Energy Reclamation. Waste heat from refrigeration systems is repurposed to heat water for our factories. This saves over 50 million BTU’s per year and reduces 2.7 metric tons of CO2 annually.
Godshall’s Bacon Makes History
Did you know that Godshall’s bacon holds a Guinness World Record? June is National Turkey Lovers Month, and on June 21, 2023 – the longest day of the year – the folks at Godshall’s decided that was the perfect day to make some history by setting the Guinness World Record for Longest Piece of Turkey Bacon.
The record-setting strip clocked in at 17 feet ¾ inches long and 23 inches wide, and weighed a whopping 115 pounds after cooking! For context, that’s more than 1,500 times larger than a regular piece of turkey bacon. It’s as long as a fully-grown beluga whale and heavier than a Giant Pacific Octopus.
That’s not the only time Godshall’s bacon has made headlines. During the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, American snowboarder Sage Kotsenburg won a gold medal in men’s snowboard slopestyle, and afterward tweeted that he wished the medals were made of bacon.
Challenge accepted! The creative minds at Godshall’s sprang into action, crafting a delicious replica turkey bacon medal, made from a single slab of round meat, with graphics etched on. The medal was awarded to Kotsenburg by Conan O’Brien on late-night TV.
Now you know some of the most interesting and fun facts about Godshall’s bacon, from the wide variety of products available to understanding how the bacon is ethically and sustainably crafted. To learn more about where you can buy Godshall’s bacon, find a store or online retailer near you.